ENVIRONMENT, ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL SUSTAINABILITY
“Tout se tient” . . . (De Saussure).
What is sustainability?
Sustainable development “meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs”. The concept of sustainable development set by the 2030 Agenda, universally supported by the UN General Assembly in 2015, sets out four goals: environmental protection, economic growth, development institution, and people’s involvement.
Economic sustainability targets seek to ensure and achieve long-term income and work; environmental sustainability concerns the ecosystems’ protection and the renewal of natural resources; social sustainability aims to ensure access to healthy lives and promote well-being for all: ”no-one behind”.
GALASSIA MISSION CORE IS TO CONTRIBUTE FOR A BETTER FUTURE
Assessing environmental effects with any given production activity by LCA (Life Cycle Assessment) method. LCA methodology helps to quantify the environmental pressures related to goods and services, the environmental benefits, the trade-offs and areas for achieving improvements taking into account the full life-cycle of the product. In the case of a manufactured product, environmental impacts are assessed from raw materials and processing, through the product's manufacture, distribution and use, to the recycling or final disposal of the materials composing it.
Monitoring and assessment of environmental impacts involves all professionals for the compliance of :
1999 - ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management System Certificate
2019 - IAPMO RESEARCH AND TESTING, INC: Product certification. Certificate of listing in compliance with the following code(s):
- Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC®) National Plumbing Code of Canada Products
- The standard(s) ASME A112.19.2-2018/CSA B45.1-18. 2002 - ISO 14001:2015 Environment Management System Certificate.
2022 - ISO 45001: management systems of occupational health and safety. 2022 - EPD (Environment product declaration),
2022 - Assessing environmental effects of the full life-cycle of the product by LCA (Life Cycle Assessment) methodology (in progress).
The production facility was born to limit energy savings obtained through recovery of heat from the kilns for the drying activities thus obtaining a saving use of the methane gas up to 15%..
WATER PURIFICATION PLANT
Production plant is equipped with an efficient chemical-physical purification technology and a water purification system’s recovery which are re-used in manufacturing, limiting in this way groundwater pumping. Such systems provide a 15% reduction of water consumption per kilogram of product.
PHOTOVOLTAIC POWER GENERATION SYSTEM
For energy saving:
Galassia installed a photovoltaic power generation system producing renewable energy covering about 30% of the company's energy needs.
ENERGY CONSUMPTION REDUCTION
Energy consumption reduction is constantly checked and achieved by performing Led lighting which is used throughout the plant, high efficiency engines for main plants and state-of-the-art inverter & compressor fittings. Network equipment savings are estimated to correspond to 26%, along with a reduction of 200 tons of CO2 per year.
RECYCLE OF WASTE PRODUCTION
Raw products’ waste are entirely re-used for the production of the ceramic slip. Plaster moulds and muds are 100% disposed and recycled at Centro Ceramico for building sector manufactured goods.
Implementing of robotic system:
- Less health risks at work, with specific reference to silica and manual zeroing.
- Lower environmental impact by the benefits of resources efficiency.
- Higher quality of goods
- glazing robots
- finishing robots
- load handling robot
- zero weight gravity tools
WORKING CYCLE, PRODUCTON, QUALITY CONTROL, ORDER DEPT./LOGISTICS
- ZEROBACT® Glaze (total barrier against bacteria)
- Water saving for flushing to the quantity of 4,5 liters.
- HIGHERGLAZE. Top quality for the innovative glaze, Higherglaze is used on both sanitarywares and washbasins before firing. The surface is perfectly smooth, preventing the dirt and limestone from contaminating the product. This gives lasting shine, pleasant touch, high protection against scratches, abrasions and external agents. Easy cleaning reducing chemicals use and safe water consumption.